28 July 2015

2. Story of Shiva and Elephant Headed Demon - Gajasura

Once there lived a demon named Gajasura. As his name signifies, Gajasura possessed all the characteristics of an elephant - and hence his name!

Gajasura performed severe penance to invoke Lord Shiva. Pleased by his penance Shiva appeared and asked him his wish. Gajasura said, "O Great Shiva, grant me the power to emanate fire continually from my body so that no one can approach to harm me". Shiva granted him the boon.

Gajasura continued to perform austerities to please Shiva. Shiva was pleased by his unbending devotion and continued to reappear to bless him.

Once Gajasura demanded, "O Shiva, I desire that you dwell my stomach". Shiva was bound to grant the wish. He reformed himself to dwell Gajasura's stomach. Shiva was now concealed from the all worlds.

Meanwhile, Goddess Parvati went all around searching for Shiva. She became very anxious when she could not find Shiva anywhere. She decided to approach her brother Lord Vishnu and ask him to help her in finding Shiva.

Lord Vishnu welcomed Parvati. He consoled her and asked her not to worry. He assured Parvati that Shiva would return soon.

Lord Vishnu meditated upon the name of Shiva and found that He was in Gajasura's stomach by virtue to his own boon to the demons!

 "O Shiva", sighed Lord Vishnu, "you yield so easily to the such unrealistic wishes!"
Lord Vishnu then thought of a way to rescue Shiva. He called Nandi, the Shiva's steer and his ardent devotee.

Lord Vishnu took form of a flutist. He transformed Nandi into a vibrantly adored dancing bull. They together went to Gajasura. Vishnu played the flute enchantingly, while Nandi performed a mesmerizing dance. Their show was truely indulging and sent Gajasura's into leaps of ecstasies. Throughly entertained and pleased, Gajasura said, "I am pleased by your performance. Ask me your wish and I shall grant it".

The fluist (Lord Vishnu in guise) demanded, "O great Gajasura, liberate Shiva from your stomach. That is my only wish".

Gajasura was enlightened. He understood the fluist was none other than Lord Vishnu himself - only Lord Vishnu could know the place of Shiva's hiding.

Gajasura liberated Lord Shiva immediately. Vishnu and Nandi were pleased to see Lord Shiva back.

Seeing Lord Shiva, Gajasura fell on his and said, " O Great Shiva, I am in devotional love with your. I wish to dedicate myself to you and continue being with you always. Grant me one last wish, my Lord -  I wish that people adore my head even after I die".

Shiva blessed Gajasura. He brought Ganesha and replaced his head with that of Gajasura. Since then Ganesha's head is adored at the start of any auspicious occasion. This custom has its roots in the boon granted by Shiva to Gajasura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like our blog? Have something to share with us? Leave your comments ...