06 September 2015

2. Ganesha and The Old Woman's Boon

Once there lived a little girl in a village. She often went to pay on the high swings tied on large tress near the village farms.
Once she saw a group of Sages praying to Lord Ganesha in form of a stone under a massive banyan tree on the other side of the farm. She joined them and began following them in their prayers. The girl became immensely touched by the devotion and glory of Lord Ganesha. She became worshiping Lord Ganesha everyday. She learned chants, hymns of Lord Ganesha.  She collected red flowes and 'Durva everyday and offered to the stone idol of Lord Ganesha everyday.
Days passed by. Years rolled by. The girl continued worshiping Lord Ganesha.  When she was in teens, she was married away in a nearby village. She continued her prayers and her faith was unbending. She was blessed with a son.
Years passed by. Her son was happily married. One day the woman's husband died due to old age. The woman was equally wrecked by age. However, she made prayers and offerings to Lord Ganesha everyday.
One year, the weather went bad. The winters became extremely chilly after unseasonal downpour. The woman was too old to bear the cold. She fell extremely sick. While she ailed, she remembered Lord Ganesha all the time, seeking forgiveness for not offering flowers and 'Durva to him.
Lord Ganesha was pleased by the old woman's devotion. That night as the old woman struggled against the wrath of weather, Lord Ganesha appeared before her. She woke up mesmerized by His divine presence.
Lord Ganesha said, "I am pleased by your selfless devotion. Ask me for a boon".
The old woman had spend all her life remebering Ganesha. She had no materialistic desires. She said, " O Great Ganesha, my life has succeeded by your divine appearance. However, I have no wishes to make".
Lord Ganesha smiled back and said, "Your devotion deserves a reward. Think and make a wish. Ask your son and daughter in law. Make a wish for them. I shall come back to you again".
Next day the old woman called her son and daugher-in-law. She told them about the miraculous appearance of Lord Ganesha and His desire to bless her with a boon. "Son, I have no wishes to make for myself. I have no clue what to ask Ganesha for. Tell me if I can ask for something for you".
The son replied, "Mother, ask Ganesha to bless our family with wealth and prosperity".
The daughter-in-law insisted, "Mother, ask Ganesha to bless you with a  grandson".
After his son went away, the ekman thought to herself, "Can I ask Ganesha for something better?" Her decided to see her neighbour and tell her about the appearance of Ganesha.
When the neighbour head the entire story from the old woman she said, "Your are old and ailing. Seek a boon that supports you in this age". The woman nodded thoughtfully and returned home.
The woman kept thinking about it a day through. It finally occurred to her, "I shall ask Ganesha sometimes which brings happiness to all - my son, my daughter-in-law, myself and even my neighbour".
Few days passed by. Lord Ganesha once again appeared before the old woman and asked her to express her wish.
The old thanked the benevolent God for reappearing and said, "O  Ganesha, grant me a long life, undiseased body, good sight, balance of mind and soul, great grandsons, wealth amounting to nine million, happiness and satisfaction to my family and salvation to me after I die".
Hearing this, the God raised his large trunk in blessing. He said, "O woman, you have robbed most of what I had brought today for you. Stay blessed". Lord Ganesha disappeared and the woman had all her wishes fulfilled in no time. She recovered from her illness soon. She came to be  blessed with a grandson and thus climbed the golden stair. The family was blessed with immense riches. They came to have large amount of gold, silver and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like our blog? Have something to share with us? Leave your comments ...